Find us on...
The report sets out the work delivered by OPSS with product regulation, authorities, and partners.
On 9 May 2023, the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) published a delivery report describing their activities and impact, and highlighting their achievements over the 2021/22 financial year, mapping them against the five strategic objectives:
- Delivering protection through responsive policy and active enforcement
- Applying policies and practices that reflect the needs of citizens
- Enabling responsive business to thrive
- Co-ordinating local and national regulation
- Inspiring confidence as a trusted regulator
The report includes:
- During the report period, the Submit Cosmetic Product Notifications (SCPN) portal had 12,531 registered users, 564 search users, and there were 135,930 product notifications made.
- OPSS developed a new government-backed certification system with the Department for International Trade (DIT) to comply with regulatory requirements for cosmetics in China whilst avoiding the obligation for UK businesses to test cosmetics products on animals before exporting to China.
- The OPSS Scientific Advisory Group on Chemical Safety of Non-Food and Non-Medicinal Consumer Products (SAG-CS) prohibited the use of deoxyarbutin in cosmetics.
To read the full report click here. CTPA continues to work with OPSS to help towards the development of UK cosmetic regulations and the regulatory processes supporting the cosmetics industry.