On 19 February 2020 the UK Government published a policy statement on the new UK immigration system, highlighting:
- the scope of the points-based system;
- salary and skills thresholds for skilled workers;
- a route for highly-skilled workers;
- reducing the overall number of lower-skilled workers;
- the visa process;
- crossing the UK border;
- engagement and outreach;
- Migration Advisory Committee analysis of a points-based system.
This system will be effective from 1 January 2021. Further guidance on employing EU citizens in the UK is available here. EU citizens living in the UK before 1 January 2021 must apply for the EU settlement scheme to continue living in the UK; the deadline for this is 30 June 2021.