Find us on...
The EU Commission published on 19 December 2022 a draft proposal to amend Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008 (EU CLP), which was notified to the WTO on 17 April 2023. The proposed draft is currently undergoing the Ordinary Legislative Procedure, where the EU Parliament and the EU Council move to formally adopt the new legislation, which may see further changes to the proposal before being formally introduced into effect. The move to adoption is currently expected to take place during the start of next year, 2024.
The proposal contains changes aimed at improving the current framework under the Chemical Strategy for Sustainability, including:
- Implementation of new hazard classes through a Delegated Act, which has already been adopted;
- better and faster processes for actors to inform on hazards of chemicals;
- improved communication of chemical hazards;
- the right for the Commission to develop classification proposals;
- specific rules for refillable chemical products, enabling consumers to buy bulk products safely.
To read more about the proposal, you may wish to refer to the EU Commission website, here.