All cosmetic products supplied to the UK market must comply with the EU Cosmetics Regulation (EC (No) 1223/2009).
The Regulation lays down rules that all cosmetic products need to follow. These include:
- Showing a product is safe (safety assessment);
- manufacturing safe products (good manufacturing practice);
- What documentation is needed (Product Information File);
- Who needs to be informed of a new product being placed on the market (notification);
- What ingredients a product can and cannot contain (ingredient restrictions);
- What to include on the packaging (labelling);
- The criteria to follow when making claims;
- Bans on animal testing.
These rules are each further explained in our Guide to supplying cosmetic products on the UK market and must be followed, with all documentation in place, before placing a product on the market.