Reducing avoidable waste including plastic and other waste from products, ensuring that the impact of materials entering the environment is minimised - from product design and packaging innovation to actively influencing disposal behaviours. This covers topics such as:
- Preventing marine and land pollution caused by the material selection, production, distribution, use and disposal of products and packaging, thinking holistically about the whole product life cycle;
- Engaging consumers to use and dispose of products responsibly.
This area of focus aligns with the internationally recognised Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
- 6 - Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all;
- 9 - Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation;
- 12 - Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns;
- 14 - Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development;
- 15 - Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.