Principles of Cosmetic Safety Assessment
Alternatives to Animal Testing
Hosted by CTPA and XCellR8
Friday 16 October 2020: Virtual Event
Delegate Rate: £50 + VAT
10.30 until 14.30
The safety of consumers, and therefore of cosmetic products, is the highest priority of the cosmetics industry, as well as a mandatory regulatory requirement. Article 3 of the EU Cosmetic Products Regulation (EC) No. 1223/2009 (CPR) mandates that all cosmetic products must be safe for human health. Article 10 of the CPR requires that all cosmetic products must undergo a safety assessment by an appropriately qualified safety assessor to demonstrate compliance with Article 3.
Animal testing on finished cosmetic products was banned in the EU in 2004. Animal testing on ingredients for use in cosmetic products was banned in the EU in 2009. Therefore, in order to perform a comprehensive safety assessment, the cosmetics industry must rely on alternative methods to generate new data for the assessment of ingredient and cosmetic product safety.
This virtual event ‘Principles of Cosmetic Safety Assessment Using Alternatives to Animal Testing’ is jointly run by CTPA and XCellR8. XCellR8 is a UK-based, GLP-accredited laboratory, exclusively devoted to animal-free safety and efficacy tests for the cosmetics, personal care and chemical industries.
The training will be delivered by industry experts and it will provide an overview of the cosmetic safety assessment process, an overview of in vitro test methods and case studies illustrating how to perform the safety assessment of cosmetic ingredients and finished products using in vitro data.
Who is it for?
This virtual event is open to CTPA members and non-members at the rate of £50 + VAT per delegate. This event is a critical introduction for anyone involved in cosmetic product development including, but not limited to, formulation technologists, technical managers, regulatory managers, as well as safety assessors and toxicologists.
What will you learn?
- An overview of cosmetic product safety assessment, from product development to the safety assessor.
- Insights into the use of alternatives to animal testing in the safety assessment process.
- Interpretation of in vitro results, building confidence and trust in these data.
- Understanding of the importance of exposure-led principles.
What to expect?
The event will be delivered by industry experts from CTPA, XCellR8, Croda, Delphic HSE, Unilever and Walgreens Alliance Boots; via presentations and case studies.
The event will cover:
- EU Regulatory framework with respect to cosmetic safety assessment and the animal testing bans.
- Basic principles of cosmetic safety assessment and hazard versus exposure principles.
- Introduction to in vitro test methods.
- Case studies on cosmetic ingredients and finished product safety assessment.
- How in vitro test results may be interpreted.
The programme is available here.
The impact of in vitro test results on product development and safety assessment will be a key theme throughout the event.
How to Book?
Please complete and return the booking form with payment.
Please note, this event is being run under the CTPA Competition Guidelines.